? can alpha channel be used for color map also wonder about

Discuss Terrain Making Here

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

? can alpha channel be used for color map also wonder about

Postby Fence » 08-29-2006 04:11 AM

I think I saw some where we can't use the alpha channel on the color map '*_c.tga'?

I was wondering is this tru for JO.

Also 16 bit grey for the terrain map is not possible for JO. Or is it just the tergen or converter doesn't like it.

Just curious if anyone knows?
Fence

Postby PyscoFalc » 08-29-2006 04:16 AM

i tried alpha maps before and I'm not sure if anything happened

and for the 16 bit grey scale image I'm clueless
PyscoFalc
NO i'm not a chav

Postby BuLL » 08-29-2006 09:34 AM

Alpha channel is used in the _c.tga for bhd but not for JO.
JO uses a 24 bit , c_tga."no alpha channel".
To get your cpt for JO.Run the bhd mod tool terngen on your "8-bit" greyscale d_raw image.Then compress the resulting cpt using the DPTH2CDEP found in the JO- mod tools download.
This application compresses the raw depthmap of a .cpt terrain file so that it can be used in JO.
Once u have run the DPTH2CDEP you will have 2 cpt files.The one generated for JO by the DPTH2CDEP will have JO added to the original cpt name.This is the one u require for Jo.
Just rename it,remove the JO fron the end of the name & that`s it.
Don`t get it mixed up with original cpt.I usually move that to a different folder before I rename the JO cpt.
Hope that helps;)

I`m only overweight because of a "feet disorder"...I can`t keep them out of the f*cking Pantry.
BuLL
Professional "Pie-Eater"

Postby R8Bob » 08-29-2006 10:31 PM

its just the terrain generator doesnt like it
it only read 8 bit strands so if you use 16 bit the terrain will mutate in to barcode

format has to be 8bit grayscale "image.RAW"

software called xnview only known freeware tool that support raw

comercial raw support i kno of
i use ulead photoimpact my tool
and there is photo shop which was used by nova

i used 16 bit raw on my first attempt it turned the terrain into a barcode terrain lol
Custom JO Terrains
Anim8or ,Cinema 4D XL, Photo impact 6 ,bryce 5
R8Bob

doh! and so it goes

Postby Fence » 08-29-2006 10:43 PM

Yippers thanks for your replys.

I have done a few terrains for JO this week. Hosted and wandered around in them. Just not real impressed with the texture. Never have been, even thought the stock terrains were pretty bland in JO.

I have a utility to do the color map they come out allright but could use some uuumph. Maybe some contrast would help.

The things I have done so far look good at distance. But when I get close enough, for the detail textures to kick in. They are dis-proportionate in areas of more detail. The blending from one to the next seems ok enough.

Might be a matter of scaling the pebbles and debris in the textures I make.

16 bit gray scale would be nice. Could probably squeeze a little more detail in the terain. Without getting the jaggies.

I tried a 16 bit but it came out corn rows like you said.

Any tips on the brightness for the detail textures alpha channels. Would sure help. I think I might be going to bright.

Thanks again all, I really love this forum! Can't wait to dive into max, build another box. And start pulling my hair out trying to get it right in JO.
Fence

Return to Terrains