? about terrain sounds and fx the *_ m.pcx file

Discuss Terrain Making Here

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

? about terrain sounds and fx the *_ m.pcx file

Postby Fence » 08-23-2006 01:38 PM

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to those whom setup this forum and to the members and help . I appreciate any and all help I can get. I get stuck on some pretty simple things some times.

I have found the information to get me through the terrain process. Thanks to many posts on many forums.

With one exception? I can't get my brain, rapped around, the terrain sound and fx file. That annoying "*_m.pcx file".

I viewed everyone by extracting from the resource pff 'JOTR'. Found nothing but the same plain brown indexed image. Then I found more in other mods and BHD.

I used these on the terrain I am learning with. I have had mixed results with my trials. The 'Tergen PDF man.' leaves me short of understanding how this file works.

I tried searching the forum using, 'terrain sound and effects', *_m.pcx file, character map, so on, and found nothing.

I would like to add other fx and sounds to terrains like, 'sand, mud, etc...'.

Has someone got this one nailed down?

If so could you point me to some info on how the file works with JO/JOE. Maybe a chart of the colors and what FX they produce. I am having no luck pulling up the indexed colors described in the manual.

I switched from Adobe color picker to windows color picker in photoshop. I remember some paint programs used to have. Those 16 different boxes with different colors in each box.

The only format near that I can find in Photoshop is the windows color picker. It has a large grid of colors above the 16 empty boxes for custom colors.

I got Photoshop mainly for working with photos. I am not much of an artist when it comes to mixing colors and using the Artistic side of the program. I am an expert with the redeye tool though.

Also learning the rest of it as I go using the manual and the online help.

I just can't get my brain around this one. Its probably so simple? I am going to feel like an idiot if and when I get it. But I must suffer this humiliation to feel I know terrain making.

Thanks for any and all help. I have been browsing this forum I really like it. Lots I want to learn from whats posted here.
Fence

Postby R8Bob » 08-23-2006 03:27 PM

im unsure on how to asign the fx to the game but
if search the mod tools firectory for Terrain Generator Overview.pdf it has chart for the fx
JOTR _m.pcx ive noticed snow from bullet impacts and grass were leafs blow from halicopter in the character map seem to be only ones to work !
Custom JO Terrains
Anim8or ,Cinema 4D XL, Photo impact 6 ,bryce 5
R8Bob

Postby PyscoFalc » 08-23-2006 05:24 PM

the colors/colours are index colors/colours

in the manual it has a chart like R8bob said

not sure if its different for JOE but i no its for bhd

Open up Novas indexed color image and then go to
Image>mode>Color table

and paint your colors to represent the sounds and effects

Hope this helps
PyscoFalc
NO i'm not a chav

Thank you guys so much!!!!

Postby Fence » 08-23-2006 05:55 PM

I would Email you a beer if I could.

I could not find that for the life of me.

I kept creating a file in indexed mode and looking for something to force in the color mode. I knew it had to be something simple.

I have been trying to figure this out long enough that my dog can do it now.

Now I can try to figure out, what works and doesn't.

Yes I am humiliated I didn't catch that one on the image/mode/
drop down. Photoshop has so many goodies the average guy struggles to get it all.

I can do just about anything with film I scan in and digital pictures. When it comes to all the Artist stuff, color modes and that I am lost. Still allot to learn about picture editing as well. I need to take the courses. But I am trying to scate by that part of it.

Thanks again
Fence

Postby PyscoFalc » 08-24-2006 04:57 AM

Np just glad to help out
PyscoFalc
NO i'm not a chav

Postby BuLL » 08-24-2006 01:08 PM

It`s all down to practice,experimentation with different textures and colour fills.You eventually get an idea of what will work & won`t work.Theres been many a time I`ve thought I had come up wit ha cracking colour map,only to find it looked absolutely horrid in game.lol....Keep persevering m8.You`ll crack it eventually.Plus you`ve come to the best place there is for help and advice.All these guys know what they`re talking about,so if u get stuck you know where to come.
Just to prove the point I made about practice and perseverance.Heres my first ever terrain from about 8 or 9 mnths ago.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/bullterr1.jpg

And heres one I finished yesterday.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/BUSOG8.jpg

If a daft old bugger like me can do it,any bugger can;)
I`ve had alot of help from peeps too,along the way.
Cheers ...."crack-on"

I`m only overweight because of a "feet disorder"...I can`t keep them out of the f*cking Pantry.
BuLL
Professional "Pie-Eater"

Eureka!!!

Postby Fence » 08-24-2006 07:36 PM

I got it thanks to the help on this thread.

I made a map and laid out a grid oriented to the map. The grid is 4X4 copy of character map-(*_M.pcx). Each square on the grid is one of the 16 used for the terrain _m file. The map has terrain colored squares not a perfect color match.

But the map with a copy of the grid and a chart of the fx supported. Anyone could figure it out I think. My problem was pulling up the colortable in photoshop cs2. Even with an elaborate chart and map. If you don't know how tho pull up the color taple in photoshop or paintshop, gimp, so on. YOu would be kind of stuck.

I tested it and all the fx worked everyone. The 'null or 0' seems to take on nearest neighbor. The 'not used' should not be used as the label states. It causes the engine to hesitate when you pull the trigger on a weapon.

There is hesitation on first and second round with auto on. Then the game engine seems to make up its mind and the rest of the clip emptys flawless.

It might be some work. but using small areas of 'not used' and some events. Might make for a hoaky gun is jammed effect.

I think it would be worth while to put together a doc on this. I would be glad to do the doc if. Someones could provide me with the steps of pulling up the color table, in other paint programs. I can do gimp win32 and CS2, I have that. I dont have Corel, Paint Shop Pro, or any of probably a few paint programs. Which would leave the doc. weak. Cause getting to the color table is what is confounding. I understood the manual fx to colortable slot. I was trying to pull up the color table the wrong way in CS2.

So thanks again for the help.

If anyone thinks a doc with a map for verification of effects. Also instructions for the color table in different paint programs would be useful. U2 me and I will try to get it together.
Fence

Return to Terrains