Would like your opinions,plz.

Discuss Terrain Making Here

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

Would like your opinions,plz.

Postby BuLL » 07-04-2006 01:09 PM

I `m still new to this terrain mallarky.I`ve made a few but was thinking about my df2 playing days & how good those terrains were....To cut a long story short.I`ve been "messing around "with
some df2 terrains & sort of, doing a rehash job on them so they can be used in bhd.Just wanted your thought`s on the idea and if you think it`s worthwhile doing.Or would entirely new terrains be a better option....Thanks in advance....BuLL.

Heres my latest effort.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/tundra1.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/tundra.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/tundra2.jpg

I`m only overweight because of a "feet disorder"...I can`t keep them out of the f*cking Pantry.
BuLL
Professional "Pie-Eater"

Postby Black Ice » 07-04-2006 08:18 PM

the third and first ones are my favorites :) you could definitely make some cool maps with those if the map maker decided to toss in a few vehicles, particularly things you dont see often on MP maps - little birds for example. would be nice to do some infiltrating missions after seeing views like those from the air.

or just some simple vehicle waypoints. i'd say if map makers aren't up for doing vehicle work though - which i know there are a few working on insurgency that are, i've seen some maps with patrolling vehicles - then it might not be worth the time. a lot of the beauty of those terrains you have there are how its elevated at some areas, slopes and then canyons. it wouldn't be that great seeing the view from the ground, but with some foliage and buildings peppered across the map it would definitely be worth the effort after spectating the harsh ground from a sky view.

in other words, with vehicles you could see all of the beauty of the map and really admire the hills and stuff. with the idea that you have to make these terrains it would be worth a lot of effort only if the player saw the terrains, otherwise in terms of sheer gameplay it might not be worth the effort.

you are right, DF2 had kickass terrains. with BHD vehicles you could really take advantage of them i think.
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby BuLL » 07-04-2006 11:29 PM

Thanks for the reply ice.I can see your point.Some of the df2 terrains look good from any angle though eh.Heres one of my favs.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/bull16.jpg

Thanks for your input though.It`s appreciated;)
ps.That first set of pics still require work on the alpha channel.Little too dark on the lower levels of the terrain.Gotta
"Crack-on":D

I`m only overweight because of a "feet disorder"...I can`t keep them out of the f*cking Pantry.
BuLL
Professional "Pie-Eater"

Postby R8Bob » 08-19-2006 04:59 AM

nice terrain BuLL ,kinda remind me of afghanistan
R8Bob

Postby loa » 08-21-2006 08:38 AM

yahhh nice terrain, was wondering if that is for bhd clouds look familar. just seen your sig so im thinking its for bhd, well on to my point i noticed your snow is bright. well if this is for bhd the best way to counter that is add a alpha chanel to your color map and copy and paste your height map "greyscale" in to that alpha chanel then change the bright whites in that alpha chanel" your hills" to a grey and the darker areas brighter to allmost a grey, i found that by doing that you can control how bright your color map is in game if you want your valleys brighter then just make the darker areas whiter.
loa
Administrator

Postby BuLL » 08-21-2006 09:48 AM

Thanks for the input loa.Yeh I sussed the alpha channel mallarky out "eventually"....That terrain was an attempt at a copy of my fav df2 terrain,simply because i think the colour map looks marvellous....I nearly got it to tile correctly too,just one or two pixels out.I`m gonna have another go at it eventually.Probably as a jo terrain though......Cheers;)

ps.Heres another df2 converted to jo.Still requires some work but I like it so far.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i291/BuLLcop/dft-to-jo.jpg

BuLL
Professional "Pie-Eater"

Postby loa » 08-21-2006 10:21 AM

that looks outstanding good work. one thing i have to say for nova logic i have felt they have allways had excellent terrains and have only goten better over the years all though they havent done much snow stuff in years i still love there terrain work. Jason tull the main man behind novalogic terrains in my opion has allways carried the game.
loa
Administrator

Return to Terrains