Coastal terrain wanted

Discuss Terrain Making Here

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

Coastal terrain wanted

Postby GenElec » 05-08-2006 12:32 PM

I am making some reality maps for some coastguard guys.
Since the dimensions and the layout are supposed to be realistic I need a eastcoast terrain. The only one that exists that comes close to my needs is the DVXC1.TRN but it is a westcoast terrain - the sea is to the west and the land is to the east. Now I have my head full with good ideas for the map and it´s a hell of a work to make such large maps with 15 miles x 15 miles and I admit: I read all the tuts here but still dont get along. Also my artwork does not satisfy my own demands.
So is there some cool terrainmaker who has already made a terrain or who is willing to make one for me.
The terrain should be mostly flat, maybe some sanddunes. The area is red colored sand , no vegetation,desert, short brown or yellow grass. The terrain will be located at the persian gulf.
If you have the skills and a heart help me out with this one.
It could be that this little project will end up in a small mod that is based on reality but with some add. objects(ships) and terrains. So also if you have made some cool civilian ships as freighters , containerships, cruising ships. You can send me some pics or post them here and I will get back to you.
If there is a god, he is a hell of a good mapmaker
GenElec

Postby Black Ice » 05-08-2006 02:28 PM

hey, welcome to the forums

just wanted to give you a heads up.

-There is already a reality mod - http://www.psyphon.com - and it is "finalized." really it could be taken further, as its weapons skins aren't that great, and the team was limited as all the jo teams are by tools, but i'd go ahead and take a whack at it first to see if it has what you're looking for.

-It's never too smart an idea to make entire objects and terrains for a single map. the reason being it doesn't get much playability by tyhe community. of course feel free to do what you'd like but just a tip :p

please dont take this the wrong way just trying to help you out.
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby GenElec » 05-08-2006 03:51 PM

Uhh, sorry,
first of all since that was my first post I say hello to everybody. But I saw so many names that I knew,lol.

I have recently made some reality maps:

http://www.dfbarracks.com/mapdb/index.php?action=dm&mid=16912

http://www.dfbarracks.com/mapdb/index.php?action=dm&mid=16797

So I think I didnt explain it so well. I want to use the reality mod that exists. Just want to add some coastal terrains and some vehicles to it.
It is not my intention to bring out a mod for public usage.
I have been asked to customdesign several maps that will be in a marine setting.
I want to use Reality because of the realistic ballistic , bulletspread, loadout aso. But we know that reality has very few objects compared to IC f.e.
So I want to integrate some objects and the correct terrain for my missions into the reality mod.
They guys who will use the maps for training purpose will receive their customized reality mod version.
If they agree to share this gameversion" with others it´s fine , if they decide to keep it for themselfs it is also ok.
I do it, because I have the chance to set up some really large ,realistic missions with realistic distances, realistic weatherconditions and so on.
So one map may take hours or even days to finish.
So this will not be a mod that is intended to be released for large public usage.
GenElec

Postby Black Ice » 05-08-2006 04:21 PM

ah ok. well i cant help you out with any of what ya said but i can go ahead and tell you this. none of the reality PFF skins are compressed, so you wont need to use devilsclaws' tools to compress anything you make like nova did :)
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby GenElec » 05-09-2006 03:23 AM

Okay , I see . Thank you very much for the effort. Anyway if someone has already made a terrain that fits my description and is willing to share it please send me a PM or post a screenshot right here!
GenElec

Postby loa » 05-09-2006 08:53 AM

maybe we can help each other i could allways use a extra mapper for the new terranova-exp. and well that will have a coastal terrain or two so we may be able to work out some kind of deal if your intrested drop me a pm.
loa
Administrator

Postby Eagle Eye » 05-09-2006 08:54 AM

If your using the DFX Med, then you can tick "Rotate Map 180 degrees", then, when you run the map, north is south, and east is west...

EE
Eagle Eye

Postby loa » 05-09-2006 11:42 AM

:confused: :p :D
loa
Administrator

Postby GenElec » 05-10-2006 03:39 AM

Eagle Eye wrote:If your using the DFX Med, then you can tick "Rotate Map 180 degrees", then, when you run the map, north is south, and east is west...

EE

That of course is a clever trick. I use Nile though. But apart from that I want a desert like terrain. With almost no hills and very litttle vegetation. So I guess it has to be redone anyway.
GenElec

Postby loa » 05-10-2006 04:41 AM

hmmm after some testing on a east coast terrain im runing in to a problem im geting a seem that goes up to about the height of a hill allong the east coast seem doesnt make sense since i have the east coast at a solid black 0.0.0, well fliped it and redid it to tile west coast and i dont get the seems hmmm i wonder if terrains cant tile east will keep looking in to this.
loa
Administrator

Postby GenElec » 05-11-2006 08:48 AM

Sight.
It hope it can be done somehow. If you cannot do it then noone else can help me with that.
GenElec

Postby PyscoFalc » 05-11-2006 09:01 AM

east coast terrains should be able to made they've all ready made one

the one with the little islands inbetween the to coasts
PyscoFalc
NO i'm not a chav

Postby loa » 05-11-2006 12:55 PM

well i dont give up easy. i imported all 4 terrain lods into 3ds and couldnt even find a problem in there. but on a good note i have figured out a good way to get the job done, but this will require me to only have two quads for coast line instead of the planed 3
loa
Administrator

Postby GenElec » 05-15-2006 04:55 PM

..still hoping for that terrain... have almost finished a new Coop for Reality meanwhile:D
GenElec

Postby loa » 05-16-2006 11:54 AM

np man sry been working a lot this is my busy time, dont you worry i will get back in and try again
loa
Administrator

Next

Return to Terrains