Adding Camo and Making new Charecters

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

Adding Camo and Making new Charecters

Postby PFC ICEMAN » 07-30-2006 04:16 PM

I know theres a way to add different camo into the game (Reality mod did it) But i dont know how.
I surmise its in teh .def, but i cant find how to make it use the certain .dds ive made.
And also, whats up with customizing charecters? Whenever I make one (ex. Delta body with camo arms and boonie hat)
It dosent show in the game.
Thanks
-Ice
PFC ICEMAN

Postby Turtle-ZED » 07-30-2006 05:23 PM

Have a look at my post:
http://mods.terranova-exp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1761

Check out the def and see how it relates to the items in the .zip AND the .3di (you'll need a hex editor to make new .3di edits- here's a free one: http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor.html )

SoftImage|XSI 4.2 Advanced
3DS MAX 5 & 7 Academic
Milkshape 1.7.10, Blender 2.42
Ultimate Unwrap 2.28
Paintshop Pro X, XBOX 360
Turtle-ZED
Daydreamer

Postby Black Ice » 07-30-2006 05:56 PM

Yeah, if you have some simple programming experience I think the best way to learn some of this stuff is just to take a look at it. It's actually not too bad.. I actually learned with that file Turtle has there how to mix and match heads and bodies.

I know I thanked you before Turtle but thanks again for that DL link.. lol :p Looking at Nova's wasn't bad but being able to compare yours and theirs was great.
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby Gen.Crusher » 07-30-2006 11:01 PM

I wrote somehting on this a while ago but can't remember where I put it.....lol.

A couple of things to note:
If you are naming a .dds file with your own original name (what I mean by this is a name that isn't already in the .PFF file) then you will need to edit the associated .3di file to point towards this file with a Hex editor.

To get around this problem easily, you can simply overwrite the original file with your own one making sure they are named the same and placed back into the same PFF.

To make your own filenames associate with the .3di file, download the free Hex editor from the link above.

Install Hex editor, then open up the .3di file that you want to edit.
If you scroll down a little, you will see the names of the current associated file names (with a .tga extension) listed. Simply rename the file name.

CAUTION: Using a hex editor without knowing what you are doing can serioulsy stuff the file. I recommend making a backup of the file first. Also, don't delete anything nor add anything. Only overwrite existing chracters. If your filename is longer than the one shown, count back from the .tga the number of characters your filename is then overwrite any ..... (dots). If it is shorter, do the same thing but overwrite dots over any extra chracters you don't want. I hope that makes sense.
Gen.Crusher

Postby Gen.Crusher » 07-30-2006 11:09 PM

.....by the way, when in the hex editor look on the right hand side of the screen, don't worry about the left or middle columns, you don't need it for this type of editing. The other stuff is only really useful for hacking/cracking purposes.
Gen.Crusher

Postby Black Ice » 07-31-2006 11:55 AM

I used to use xvi32, it did the job but was a hard program to work with (bad GUI). But like Gen. Crusher mentioned, HexEdit is probably the best free one out there according to crack... it's a lot easier on your eyes as well.
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby PyscoFalc » 07-31-2006 01:10 PM

i got 2 questions

1) what do you need a hex editor for

2)how do you make your own nationality

and make the text look right when you make a new division

ty for the answers
PyscoFalc
NO i'm not a chav

Postby Turtle-ZED » 07-31-2006 02:30 PM

I used a Hex editor to make new .3di files. I don't mean that I modelled new characters and exported from MAX into the OED, but I simply made changes to the names of the textures found in the 3di files so that when I edited the .def file, I could build a new character using the assorted parts I had reskinned.

EG- take the CFO (I always play as pilot/combat flight operator). I found the .3di for the body of the model...looked at the names of the textures linked to that file with the hex editor...added or replaced my own (usually with a 'Z' in the file) and made the skin- saved it with the file name in the .3di and set it up in the .def.

SO, you could create a new nationality based upon edits to skins, .def files and .3dis.

Others have used hex editors to alter the way the game plays (BHD vehicle MOD anyone) or to edit some of the animations.

Many uses for a hex editor...these are just a few.

SoftImage|XSI 4.2 Advanced
3DS MAX 5 & 7 Academic
Milkshape 1.7.10, Blender 2.42
Ultimate Unwrap 2.28
Paintshop Pro X, XBOX 360
Turtle-ZED
Daydreamer

Postby PFC ICEMAN » 07-31-2006 06:04 PM

Ok thanks for the info, but i still have questions.
Say i have 2 models, buth the same lets say the last delta charecter (with the helmet and balacava) And I want them to have different camo(one MARPAT and one ACU), and they are in seperate nationalities (one US Marines one US Army).
How would I
a) use the HEX editor to mak them have different camo's
b) Edit the Avatars.def to set them to different camo's
Thanks
-Iceman
PFC ICEMAN

Postby PyscoFalc » 08-01-2006 02:24 AM

you need adobe photoshop or another image editing program to make the skin save it then open up your 3di in a hex editor

then where it has the Skin names put yours there but leave the
.tga alone don't change it

here is what i just wrote in step from

1) Make you skin in a image editing program or edit the a existing one save it as tga

2) open the .3di file change the Skin names to your ones But leave the .tga bit alone
(it should look like this Myskin.tga)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Avatars.def is to make your own People out of the body parts e.g the SAS head on a Rebel body with US Seal Arms

Hope this helps:D
PyscoFalc
NO i'm not a chav

Return to Discuss Skinning Here