problems with editing 3di files

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

problems with editing 3di files

Postby TXD-Sniper » 06-13-2006 09:04 AM

I am new to the mod thing here. I have tried to start my learning process by cloning a few objects from BHD and teamsabre.

I am using a program called hexplorer to open the 3di file and find the .tga references and change one letter in it to something else...usually a number......then i save it as a different 3di file.......by adding or chaning one character.....i then open the dds files that it uses for the skins......and edit them....changing the look.

I then go into the Items def and make an entry for the object and give it a unique item id #. i am then able to go into the mission editor and insert the new edited object into a map.......and it works........Sorta.....lol......

Before you say...."make sure both systems have the same Pff file" .....I allready did that..........

the problem i am having seems to be once the other system or player joins the map.....two things happen...either they see the objects or theyy are invisible........but in either case....after about 30 seconds....the player who joined the server gets punted.......

I know it is something i am doing wrong when editing the 3di file......i went into the 3di file and verified that i made the correct changed and didnt have any typos. ........i thought at first i was doing something wrong when editing the new textures in the dds files....but i eliminated that possibility,......by doing this.....

I took an existing item from the game......and only changed the texture of the dds files....and put the edited dds files and the original 3di file in the pff........i didnt change any file names on the 3di or the dds files.....i hosted the servr......and the other oplayer joined just fine and ran the server for about an hour...and didnt get punted..........

So.....my question is this.......Is there anything specific or speacial that is supposed to be done when editing the 3di file for a modified object? I know there are alot of setting in each hex editor......all i did was click on the character i wanted to change ...and made the change.....i then made sure i saved it as a different 3di file.....

Here is a zip file that contains one of the items....it has the modified 3di files and modified dds file.....as well as the original dds file.....

http://www.teamtxd.com/mods/TXD2/New_Objects/Cargo_Container1_Closed-blue.zip

The only other thing i can think of.....and i will try and eliminate that possibility now and post my results....the other possibility is this.....it this Item id # too high? what are the renges that can be used...?
here is my entry in the items def....for this new object..

begin "TXD2mod- Cargo Container both doors closed- blue"
id 161489
type building
graphic Cargo01b
end

Any help would be appreciated..... :confused:
TXD-Sniper
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Postby Ma1/m27de » 06-13-2006 09:51 AM

reason why a player would get kicked is cause they do not have the edited files your using on the specified map. thats why all players must have same mod installed. on the client side.

also on the unedited 3di file and just edite dds file. the reason they didnt get punted is cause they have the same dds file name and 3di file content but see the original dds skin instead of edited one. so they wouldnt get punted.

now since you did edit the 3di file and change its content its and give it a new id number and all. new object other player dosnt have it they get punted.
3D Studio Max 7
Photoshop CS2
Milkshape3D
Ultimate Unwrap
Ma1/m27de

Postby TXD-Sniper » 06-13-2006 11:05 AM

all systems had the same files......i think i may have found the problem,......tell me if it sounds logical....

I put all my files back in the pff file......but first i changed all the items def id's for the items i modified.....they were in the 15000 and 16000 range,,that may have been too high a number.....
i went in a gave them new id #'s in increments of 1 starting from the hoghest existing object in the items def.......then up loaded the new items def....and put the same pff on both systems.....everything seemed fine....does this sound like it could have been it...?
TXD-Sniper
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Postby Ma1/m27de » 06-13-2006 12:33 PM

ok, you didnt mention that i read that the other player had files. thats why i suggested that.

but also, if id was to high host system should have crashed too i would think. but dont take my word on it. :)
3D Studio Max 7
Photoshop CS2
Milkshape3D
Ultimate Unwrap
Ma1/m27de

Postby TXD-Sniper » 06-13-2006 05:56 PM

thats what i thought...but it didnt have any issues at all whatever the problem was.....so it must have been a translation problem.....maybe the game cant translate that high if a number.....i dont know......

I hope it stays fixed...i am testing the heck out of it before i make anymore items...lol
TXD-Sniper
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Return to Discuss Skinning Here