playing ball with dog

all mapping not coding

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

playing ball with dog

Postby Trigger » 06-11-2006 09:58 AM

Hello guys just though i'd post my latest attempt to amuse my boy. This is part of my hamilton map, you'll probablly see many versions of it.

http://www.pro-warrior.com/INS/dogscene.wmv
Trigger
video production

Postby Black Ice » 06-11-2006 12:04 PM

ok this is really weird... whenever i click the link my internet goes down.

i'm sure it's the link, too, as i've tried it 3 consecutive times in a row, and it is turning my internet light off persistantly. it was at 37% downloaded when it went off the first time, and now whenever I click the link it goes down.

it's like this on yahoo! music, too... I click on the video and the internet goes down.

i'll have to try the video link later - i *think* pro-warrior is down as i can't access that site either. i really want to see this!! it sounds awesome.
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby Black Ice » 06-11-2006 12:14 PM

ok got it fixed. that sure was weird.

that is awesome, how much work did it take to get dog to play catch? i always wondered that.

but what caused that hitch at the end, where dog thought the ball was the seesaw? :confused:

that looks awesome though, the map looks very realistic and dog was playing catch for almost a solid 2 minutes. :D

i love the source physics system, the end of the video was nice when you shot the turning wheel with the gravity gun. i just got half-life 2 episode 1 two days ago..
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby Trigger » 06-11-2006 03:59 PM

Black Ice wrote:that is awesome, how much work did it take to get dog to play catch? i always wondered that.

Not very much work in the end. Just alot of theoretical planning. I found the vcd scene in the source, but got snagged early on. After coming back to valve i noticed the tutorial was up at a site i frequent.

but what caused that hitch at the end, where dog thought the ball was the seesaw? :confused:

I just figured it out i had ti cover the hinge entity with a npc_clip brush to hide the entity involved from dog.

that looks awesome though, the map looks very realistic and dog was playing catch for almost a solid 2 minutes. :D

As long as i put a clip over the trigger i can run this game forever. I am working on making the catchthrow action add a point to a scoreboard for a mini-game in a friends mod.

i love the source physics system, the end of the video was nice when you shot the turning wheel with the gravity gun. i just got half-life 2 episode 1 two days ago..

I really want to know how the source sdk works with episode one. In steam goto the tools tab and check it out.

http://www.3dbuzz.com has a very very kool video tutrial series on hammer (radiant like map tool) and its use.
Trigger
video production

Postby Black Ice » 06-11-2006 07:51 PM

i'd be more than happy to check out source SDK for you, i actually kind of wanted to get it anyways. i always forget to download it as i dont have any plans modding half-life 2 or even CS:S beyond some simple texturing, so it always escapes my mind when i'm not playing the game. :)

of course Target was selling half-life 2 ep 1 for a mere $15 - that's $5 off the MSRP of $20.

so i'd recommend you'd buy it anyways and see for yourself - it really is an awesome game so far, unfortunately only about 6 hours i've read in many places. even though it's a 1 disc long game it comes in one of those humongous CD cases. :)

i'll download SDK tonight and give ya some info about it tomorrow. any particulars you'd like to know about??

edit: oh yeah, commentary is included on the disc as well, which is awesome. i love it because it tells you what valve has to go through to make all of the areas, what they had in mind when creating it, and it goes into the developmental aspects of making the maps. it helps me for one become better at it when i can apply their methods to my own maps - things like "arenas" i believe they call them are areas they spend a lot of time designing, normally with a puzzle so the player can become acquanted witht he area before a bossfight, how they add levels of tension to the arena is also spoken of.

that was all in lost coast's commentary.. :cool:
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby Trigger » 06-12-2006 06:47 AM

yeah commentary is great isn't it. The great thing about valve is the have dictionaries on how to make things withtheir game. I'm talking dictionaries.

Here is a hypothetical for you. A mod team slaves over recreating a valve scene in their mod, you see they have some trouble and after a bit you see they post something about valve contacting them with a fix. Then that team goes and enters the fix into the wiki and no-one ever has to struggle again.
Trigger
video production

Postby Trigger » 06-15-2006 07:01 PM

here's another video i made to try and find a fix for my textures this video shows the +showbudjet cvar

http://www.pro-warrior.com/INS/hamiltontest.wmv
Trigger
video production

Postby Trigger » 06-17-2006 01:45 PM

updated the error i got with dog. http://www.pro-warrior.com/INS/dog_run.wmv
Trigger
video production

Postby SonicDeath » 06-17-2006 01:52 PM

Trigger wrote:yeah commentary is great isn't it. The great thing about valve is the have dictionaries on how to make things withtheir game. I'm talking dictionaries.

Here is a hypothetical for you. A mod team slaves over recreating a valve scene in their mod, you see they have some trouble and after a bit you see they post something about valve contacting them with a fix. Then that team goes and enters the fix into the wiki and no-one ever has to struggle again.

That is very true with Valve. Kinda makes you wonder why some of us are still modding Nova's games, although I do think it says alot about the dedication some have who struggle with the Nova nightmare.

<center>Death. The final high.<br>

</center>
SonicDeath

Postby Black Ice » 06-17-2006 03:00 PM

SonicDeath wrote:That is very true with Valve. Kinda makes you wonder why some of us are still modding Nova's games, although I do think it says alot about the dedication some have who struggle with the Nova nightmare.

it's semantics bro :) if you stick with nova, sure, you have the problem of limited work. however there ARE some pros to it.

-your work will probably get accepted if you follow a few guidelines.

-it will be played by almost everyone in the community because there are so few mods released.

-the gameplay might be more fitting than in a valve game like CS.

-a bit more room for error with textures. you don't have to have the perfect texture because it doesnt always render perfectly.. LOL

of course there are a ton more pros to modding valve games, but that's just on paper... i personally like the JO and BHD mods more because it's like adding chocolate to milk. you still have the same basic ingredient but it's just a different flavor as opposed to a whole 'nother drink. with valve mods, it's basically always total conversion. less room for error, more work for modders, and sometimes this just doesn't mix well. of course sometimes it does too if you're really into it. the hidden: source is a great example of this.

back to DOG.. the map is looking awesome. how many hours have you spent on it? i cannot imagine how long it takes for valve to make those levels with all the intricate detail they go through, making sure there aren't holes in gameplay too.

it looks great playin around with dog as well.

:D
Black Ice
loa fan!

Postby Trigger » 06-17-2006 03:29 PM

started the map with a few friends in december. I'm working on visual occlusions at the moment to imporve fps in certain area'S
Trigger
video production

Return to radiant style mapping