Flames/Barels and Flickering

In Memory Of Dr. Evil ~TAG

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

Flames/Barels and Flickering

Postby DR.EVIL~TAG » 07-18-2005 07:24 PM

First off let me say i know the forums here recommend using images no bigger than 640 by 480. With in this tut a few of them are a bit bigger. If it is to much of a problem i can re upload them all at different sizes.

Todays tutorial is going to be the making of a burning barrel, This can be replaced by anything actually you want to simulate on fire. This tutorial will be fully covered with screen shots of every step and full explanation at least to my knowledge. I read alot and gathered info from people and forums. This is the info gathered put into pictures and a walk through.

All file used in the tutorial can be download at the end of the tutorial, The files will include the following - FireBrl10.3ds, FireBrl10.ase , FireBrl10.3da and FireBrl.3di . Feel free to use these in any way you want. There are no barrel textures included with this model, How ever the model will still work in the game to show you the effects.

All files used for this tutorial are located HERE

Tools used for this tutorial are:

1:3DS Max 7
2:Oed BHD
3:A.Bullets Max set up tutorial
Most versions of max are pretty close to being the same.

In total this model can be made in about 5 mins or less if you know your way around the tools, If you do not don't fret as theres a screen shot for everystep and location of things.

Ok now lets end the babling and begin by launching the max tool. Once the max tool is lauched we'll make our barrel using the Cylinder tool. I start it off in the top veiw making the diameter i want while watching the perspective window, Once i get the right diameter i then drag it up wards to make the height i want. The cylinder you made should now look simular to the one in the picture below. If you think the size is right out to lunch you can manually enter the diameter and hieght you want . Compare it to the height and diameter hieght numbers in the picture on the right side. Give the Cylinder a name of 01_Barrel

Next were going to make the barrel hollow inside. To do this i right clicked on the cylinder and choose the CONVERT section and then choose CONVERT TO EDITABLE POLY as seen in the picture below.

You should now see another window simular to the image below, Here you will choose POLYGON.

Once the above is done goto the TOP view window and click on the top of the cylinder it will turn red as seen in the image below located where the number 1 is. Next click on the extrude button pointed to by the big arrow .

Now go back to the top view and a little cross should appear just drag it down while watching in the perspective window. This will lower the top down into the barrel making it hollow. Your barrel should now look like the image below.

Were now going to make a basic hole in the side of the barrel so more flame can flicker through the side creat as many as you would like. While the cylinder is still in the editable mode click on the side of the barrel in the perspective window , A little square polygon should hightl light red as seen in the image below .

Once the polygone is red you can click DELETE on your keyboard this will get rid of the polygone make a hole into your new barrel . A sample of the barrel can been seen once again below.

For your gaming textures and downloads. Now hosting over 5000 game textures and more uploaded every night. Click the sig.
DR.EVIL~TAG
Mod Depot Staff

Postby DR.EVIL~TAG » 07-18-2005 07:24 PM

Now that your all done poking holes into your new barrel go back to the edit mesh window and click on the EDITABLE POLLY this will make the cylinder no longer editable. Reference the picture below once agian.

Your barrel is now done. Next we'll add the lights which will later on turn into nice flickering flames shooting out of the barrel nicely.

To add the lights goto the menu located at the top of the max program and choose the menu that is labled CREATE , scroll down through it till you get to LIGHTS , then choose STANDARD LIGHTS and next with in that part OMNI a new little item will appear on you window views.

Now that the light is in the views move it to somewhere in the barrel, I placed my first on near the middle of the barrel .Number one in the image is the name i gave the first light . The name was LP01 . As you view the image once more you will see a number 2. Click on INTENSITY/COLOR/ATTENUATION this will expand the menu down wards.
With in the drop down menu change the (3) MUTIPLIER to .25 . Next go down to (4) and change the start to 10 and the end to 15 , check both the radio buttons infront of them. Continue down to (5) and check both boxs again as seen in the image and in the start put 15 and the end 25 . To learn even more what all this means with out me having to explain it all you can get some good info at 3DS MAX LIGHT SOURCES With in here just browse the links in the article info

Repea the above and add another omni light and give it a name of LP02. The new omni light should contain the info you have already entered in the omni light one. If not then renter it the same. Place it in the barrel as well towards the top . Quick view in the image below.

Almost done in max now.

Now we need to get out of the light section and back into the basic shapes section so we'll go to the top of the menu and goto CREATE>>STANDARD PRIMITIVES>>>and click on BOX .

Were going to add a little tiny box to the bottom of the barrel in the center. This will telll the barrel to sit on the ground. We'll name it ^01 Ground

Last step in the barrel is the collison box. For this we'll creat another cylinder the same size of the actuall barrel and place it over top of it giving it a name of CB01. I did this last but if i had of thought before hand i could of ust cloned and copied the first one before any modifications were done to it. Anyhow to get the proper size you can enter the scaling numbers from the original cylinder into the scaling boxs on the CB01 Cylinder. You can see in the 2 images the 2 barrels seperated , This is just showing you the burning barrel and the collision barrel in the next image you can see i placed the collision barrel right over top of the burning barrel .

Next go to FILE >>>EXPORT >>>and choose 3ds save it just incase you need to edit something like textures. Also goto FILE>>>EXPORT and dave it as ASE file type to be used in the OED BHD mod tools.

This is the end of the barrel making in the max program.

The following names were used in case you missed any.

Cylinder1=01_Barrel
Omni01 = LP01
Omni02 = LP02
Box01 = ^01 Ground
Cylinder2 = CB01

For your gaming textures and downloads. Now hosting over 5000 game textures and more uploaded every night. Click the sig.
DR.EVIL~TAG
Mod Depot Staff

Postby DR.EVIL~TAG » 07-18-2005 07:25 PM

.................ahhhhhhhhhhh Water break.

Ok now that were all done in max with our barrel were going to be moving into the OED BHD tool.

Launch you OED tool. Once its opened be sure to click on the 1 meter radio box, Shown in the image. Its located in the top section of the tool towards the middel of it.

Now goto FILE >>>IMPORT 3DS ASCII . Locate you ASE file you saved from the barrel.

Now that you see the barrel in the OED tool click on the RENDER button at the top of the tool in the middle.

You can move the barrel around for better viewing using the num pad and arrow keys of your keyboard. More notes on the tooll in the PDF provided when the OED was downloaded.

Now we will set the lights up in the OED. Goto EDIT menu at the top of the tool. Select LIGH SOURCES

A nice new window will pop up as seen in the below image, Click on the LP01 and highlight it blue if it is not already done. Then click on the COLOR OVERIDE located with the word NONE marked on it to the right of the screen.

A new window will appear for the LP01 light set up . In here we will decide on what colors are to be used in the flames and how they will react.

1: Scroll down and choose ADD-CONTROL REGISTER
2: Click here and choose a color . Only click once do not double click.Top of the flame, I chose yellow
3: Do the same thing here as you did above. Bottom of the flame I chose a redish color.
4:Set the control to FLICKER.

DR.EVIL~TAG
Mod Depot Staff

Postby DR.EVIL~TAG » 07-18-2005 07:26 PM

Choosing colors a new box will appear as seen below , Click in the number 1 box to get you color range you want and then click in te number 2 section to choose the actual color you want.

The first light is now all set up and ready to go. Now choose the LP02 light and click on the COLOR OVERRIDE section again as you did with the first light.

This one were going to tell the flame to wave and viberate.
1: Choose ADD WAVE - VIBERATE
2: Choose the colors as you did above with first ligh, They do not need to be the same colors, Experiment
3: Same as step 2 . I chose yellow again for step 2 and red again for this step.
4: Choose a rate of the wave nd such you want. 1 works really well with a set of 25 phoase before repeating. This is how i understand it, I chose 25 for this, You can play waround and get different results.

Got to General info and set the item up to be generic.

Last step is to export it to a 3da file and a 3di file, The 3da file is so you can edit it again later if you want and the 3di file is to be placed in the pff or your mod file.

I used some of the already in game sounds and such. This can be done with in the items. def . An example of what i used for the in game sounds and effect with in the items.def file is shown below:

begin "Burning Barrel"
id 111111
type decoration
graphic FireBrl10
attrib: notarget
move_function envs
soundloop LP_FIRE_BRL1
particlefx Effect_FireBarrel Pfx00
end

Ingame screen shot. Much better looking when its flickering then just a plain ol screen shot.
DR.EVIL~TAG
Mod Depot Staff

Thats awsome

Postby Brodie » 07-18-2005 11:49 PM

Maybe i will try that somtime.... looks good :)
Brodie, The One... The Only.
-----------------------------------

Brodie

Postby PyscoFalc » 07-19-2005 04:56 AM

lol you forgot one thing the little box called

Upg01 Pfx00

thats for the partical event of the fire
PyscoFalc
NO i'm not a chav

Postby DR.EVIL~TAG » 07-19-2005 06:11 AM

You don't really need it, The barrel still works fine. The def section

egin "Burning Barrel"
id 111111
type decoration
graphic FireBrl10
attrib: notarget
move_function envs
soundloop LP_FIRE_BRL1
particlefx Effect_FireBarrel Pfx00
end

Is just an excert from another barrel in the items.def , How ever its easy enough to add the little box . Thx sponge for point it out.
DR.EVIL~TAG
Mod Depot Staff

Postby 7thDagger » 07-19-2005 09:15 AM

That's an excellent tutorial!!!

Here's a quick ?. Using that tutorial is it possible to make a working flashlight where it actually lights up the object you point it at? Maybe using the directional light property in the OED?
<a>Image</a>
7thDagger
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Wow!

Postby dzine » 07-19-2005 11:53 AM

Superb Tutorial!!! ...I've had some great tips from other members about the 'secrets' that hide within the OED. I think I speak for all the 'up and coming' modders when I say without these Tutorials (that must take so long to create) we'd still be running around plain empty boxes! Thanks a lot DR.EVIL~TAG!
dzine
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Postby DR.EVIL~TAG » 07-19-2005 01:29 PM

The flash light i imagine it could be done, But the light direction would be done mostley in max. This would be great for one to make a torch which could be carried in caves and suck , Or to be mounted on cave walls . I have done up a spot light as well . I'm gettting limited on space for hosting pics so most of the tuts will probable be in pdf for mate and uploaded now.
DR.EVIL~TAG
Mod Depot Staff

Postby 7thDagger » 07-19-2005 02:31 PM

I would definitely like to see that tutorial on the spotlight. Here is a link to host images for free: image shack and photo bucket
<a>Image</a>
7thDagger
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Postby PyscoFalc » 07-20-2005 10:11 AM

lol i forogt to mention very good totrials on everything you done lol
PyscoFalc
NO i'm not a chav

Postby -SyNDrOMe » 07-20-2005 11:15 AM

great tutorial bro! very easy to understand.
-SyNDrOMe
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Postby 7thDagger » 07-22-2005 11:34 AM

DR.EVIL~TAG wrote:The flash light i imagine it could be done, But the light direction would be done mostley in max. This would be great for one to make a torch which could be carried in caves and suck , Or to be mounted on cave walls . I have done up a spot light as well . I'm gettting limited on space for hosting pics so most of the tuts will probable be in pdf for mate and uploaded now.
Well I tried playing around with the omni/target lighting in max but could not get the effect i wanted to work in game. First, I tried to add omni lighting to an object and it showed in the OED. I set it up as you did but when in game the object that it was attached to appeared solid black yet other objects like the buildings around were lit up. From your pic of the burning barrell, I see the inside of the barrell lit up as well as the outside, am I missing a step somewhere? Second, I tried the target/directional lighting and could not get it to work either. When you give a light point a target in max, there is a target object formed and the OED does not read that. I see the option for ambient and directional light options in the OED but cannot access them. I think maybe it has to do with the correct naming of the light points. I looked at the example that nova gave of the shed. It shows the omni light inside of the bulb object. I made small box and put the omin light point inside to see maybe if it would turn the box black and light up my object but it did not work. All this guessing and trial & error stuff is exhausting. Anyway, any help you can give would be much appreciated.
<a>Image</a>
7thDagger
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Postby DR.EVIL~TAG » 07-24-2005 12:34 PM

Sorry mate for the long wait and reply back, Had a weekend duty and just got home today.

When i added the omni light i just selected add omni. Do not attach the light to the item your working on , Just place it in the spot you want it, For this tut you don't need to add a box around them either mate.

Did the 3ds file i uploaded work for you, Try that one as a comparison instead of using the shed.

The color and stuff to the light should not be added in the max program. Once you place the light in the max program the only thing you should add to it is the brightness of it and the start and end of the distance you should be able to see from it , Name the light LP01 or LP_01 .
DR.EVIL~TAG
Mod Depot Staff

Return to Tutorials