Adding a Character

Discuss Player and AI Modelling Here

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

Adding a Character

Postby jeeep » 09-20-2006 11:51 PM

Suppose I wanted to add a new character/ new skinned person. What would I need to do other than adding the .3di file with the .tga files. For example in the .3di file I name the dds file a tga and add the dds file to the pff? I'm working with the dj3 mod and want to add my own character. Any advice?

-Let me know if you need more specifics
jeeep

Postby jeeep » 09-21-2006 02:26 AM

My goal is to creat a personal avatar for 5 people on my squad. These avatars will be used only for private games, between these 5 members, and the files for the avatar will be placed in a copy DJ3 folder. Specifically, I plan to place the players name onto their vest. Below are the instructions that have not worked so far for me. Any insight into this matter will be much appreciated.

1. Open PFF Utility
2. Go to Open file and find your DJ3 copy folder
3. Open resource.pff and then open localres.pff
4. Extract JNTOPSB2.3DI from resource.pff and extract AVATARS.DEF from localres.pff
5. Create New_Vest.tga file via photoshop
6. Open a Hex editor program and insert/open JNTOPSB2.3DI
7. Scroll down and replace Old_Vest.tga with New_Vest.tga
8. Save new 3di file as New_JNTOPSB2.3DI
9. Open Avatars.DEF
10. go to define body and create this:

define body JO_BODY_New
{
name AV_JUNGLEBDU
graphic New_JNTOPSB2.3DI
camo 5 0 0
}

11. Then go to "JOINT OPS CHARACTERS" and go to the nationality that you want, and go to combo box 1 and place in your

new body name:

nationality N05 AV_NAT_GERMANY skipdemo
{
alignment good

division D00 AV_DIV_KSK
{

combo 001 JO_HEAD_KSK JO_BODY_New JO_ARMS_KSK
}
}

12. Save Avatars.DEF
13. Delete the old Avatars.DEF file from the pff and add the new one into the localres.pff
14. Open resource.pff and add the New_Vest.tga and New_JNTOPSB2.3DI
15. Open DJ3 and go to Avatar, then nationality to select new body.

As of now these steps produce a head with no body. Further more I hope to create 5 different Avatars.def files, each one specific to that own player. Then in the DJ3 copy file the other 5 players files will be loaded into their respective pff files so that each player can see the other players name. Again, thank you for any help.
jeeep

Postby jeeep » 09-21-2006 01:58 PM

jeeep

Postby Xx_jet_xX » 11-06-2006 12:12 AM

email the body, skins and avatars.def to jet@wtf-squad.com and ill take a look to see what if anything was done wrong.

personaly i think it may be the vest being named wrong, look at the numbers after camo

define body JO_BODY_New
{
name AV_JUNGLEBDU
graphic New_JNTOPSB2.3DI
camo 5 0 0
}

the 5 0 0 specifies what camo is being used. when you name it inside the 3di file you overwrote the # that says what camo pattern. try renaming the A_Vest_?.tga to J_Vest_?.tga (? is whichever one you changed since you didnt specify) just change the first letter.

test it and you should see KSK body, but i dont know about the vest part. if it doesnt show try changing another of the vests names until you find the correct one.

Also this wouldnt be good if you actualy joined a server because everyone would need your files.
Xx_jet_xX
JET Laggg

Postby jeeep » 11-06-2006 07:58 AM

Xx_jet_xX wrote:email the body, skins and avatars.def to jet@wtf-squad.com and ill take a look to see what if anything was done wrong.

personaly i think it may be the vest being named wrong, look at the numbers after camo

define body JO_BODY_New
{
name AV_JUNGLEBDU
graphic New_JNTOPSB2.3DI
camo 5 0 0
}

the 5 0 0 specifies what camo is being used. when you name it inside the 3di file you overwrote the # that says what camo pattern. try renaming the A_Vest_?.tga to J_Vest_?.tga (? is whichever one you changed since you didnt specify) just change the first letter.

test it and you should see KSK body, but i dont know about the vest part. if it doesnt show try changing another of the vests names until you find the correct one.

Also this wouldnt be good if you actualy joined a server because everyone would need your files.

Yes this was going to be done for a squad to use on a private server, where we all would have our ranks on our uniform. Just a crazy idea lol :D
jeeep

Postby Xx_jet_xX » 11-06-2006 03:06 PM

then you only need to modify the body skin and not bother with the vests. the armpatch is on the upper left corner. just put the rank where the flag is. the other goes someplace else.

I made a whole Mercenary group with armpatch and a smile face on there pack or back. depending on which character it was. looked funny but i like it.
Xx_jet_xX
JET Laggg

Postby jeeep » 11-06-2006 09:41 PM

you know that is a very good point lol. i was more hoping to put the medals on the left front chest, to give it that military feel. i was also hoping to make independent squad uniforms, to be used only during dj3 matches against each other inwhich the other team would agree to the others uniform. this presents many potentail problems but with the squads we play with/against we all trust each other. this, as i see it, would make the game more funner and add a more realistic perspective on the idea. the guys from bearforce arent down with this idea too much though lol. :rolleyes:
jeeep

Postby Xx_jet_xX » 11-07-2006 03:24 AM

ok, be a bit of fun to find exactly where the left front chest is, but you can always do some guess work. put a bright colored spot on the skin, start the game and look.

But im sure there are quite a few people here who can take a copy of the skin and put a red circle over where that is.

hers a skin that i think has the aproximate location (red square) for adding rank on left chest. if you use a body with a vest it will probably cover it.

Xx_jet_xX
JET Laggg

Postby jeeep » 11-07-2006 07:11 PM

finding the left part of the chest is not a problem, its learning how to link the individual skin files to the player somehow inside of the framework of dfx
jeeep

Postby Xx_jet_xX » 11-08-2006 02:20 AM

Eagle_Eye explained that at DF reload.

The body you are working on is JNTOPSB2.3di open it with a hex editor. Since you are doing the KSK find A_B2KSK.tga find the A_B2KSK.DDS file and modify it and save as X_B2KSK.DDS. rename A_B2KSK.TGA to X_B2KSK.tga in the hex editor, save and test ingame. if it shows the modified skin rename the JNTOPSB2.3di to XNTOPSB2.3di open it in the hex editor and rename there as well, should be the 3rd line from top.(ive had sysdumps if i didnt do that.) make the new JO body in the avatars.def

Code: Select all
define body JO_BODY_New
{
name AV_JUNGLEBDU
graphic XNTOPSB2.3DI
camo 5 0 0
}

and then find the KSK character in the avatars.def and make it look like this

Code: Select all
nationality  N05  AV_NAT_GERMANY  skipdemo
{
   alignment   good

division  D00  AV_DIV_KSK
   {
      combo   005     JO_HEAD_KSK             JO_BODY_New      JO_ARMS_KSK
      combo   001     JO_HEAD_KSK             JO_BODY_KSK      JO_ARMS_KSK
      combo   002     JO_HEAD_COMBAT          JO_BODY_KSK      JO_ARMS_KSK
      combo   003     JO_HEAD_COMBAT          JO_BODY_SoFu      JO_ARMS_KSK
      combo   004     JO_HEAD_SAS_2           JO_BODY_BFO      JO_ARMS_KSK
   }
}

You can copy and paste if you want to save some time here. save and test.

notice combo 005 is at the top? this will be the one you can pick, if you send the .def to everyone like this then they can pick this one as well. or you could do like the bears did(notice combo 003 and 004) and send everyone the .def with combo 001 at the top and combo 005 at the bottom. thus they can see combo 005 in the game but not be able to choose it. since this will be for lan, that wont be an issue because everyone will have there own custom avatar, and if it is the same character, just swap there combo with yours send them that .def file and they can see yours but only pick theres.
Xx_jet_xX
JET Laggg

Return to Character