Need some help please

Discuss Vehicle Modding Here

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

Need some help please

Postby FreekOne » 05-28-2006 09:21 PM

Hi everybody. After working on maps for quite a while and a mapmaking utility (that I will probably release soon), I decided to try modding. I've been reading around trying to find some info but had no luck so I will just ask (my probably noob questions) here:

1. What is the poly/verts limit in JO (how much is condisered "safe") ? Or to put it otherwise, does anybody know which object used in a mod has the highest poly/verts count and what are the values ?

2. I've seen that people modified the textures on some of the vehicles. And from what I've seen on the forums, the textures are packed in the 3di files. Now, since everybody says the 3di format has not been yet fully cracked, how can one modify the textures ? :confused:

3. This question was probably asked like a billion times so I do apologize for asking it again but I just want to be sure: is there a way to edit/unpack JOINT OPS 3di files ? I know there are plugins for BHD 3di files but I tried a few of them and (not surprisingly) they didn't work with the JO 3di format.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but hey ... I gotta start somewhere :D

P.S. I know you guys are busy with your own stuff but if somebody could give me or at least point me to a JO modding crash course, I would really really REALLY apreciate it !

Thank you and all the best,
FreekOne-WASP

----- Edited -----

I just realised I posted this in the Vehicle forum (because a vehicle is what I have in mind for modding) 'tho I guess it belongs in the General forum. Sorry about this.
FreekOne

Re: Need some help please

Postby Ma1/m27de » 05-29-2006 02:30 AM

[B]
2. I've seen that people modified the textures on some of the vehicles. And from what I've seen on the forums, the textures are packed in the 3di files. Now, since everybody says the 3di format has not been yet fully cracked, how can one modify the textures ? :confused:

In JO the textures are not packed in the 3di, there listed in the 3di if you use a hex editor. but there actually dds or tga files within the pff files like the rest of the files. now there is a tool released that lets you decrypt the tga and dds files to open them up in the graphic program of your choice.
3D Studio Max 7
Photoshop CS2
Milkshape3D
Ultimate Unwrap
Ma1/m27de

Postby FreekOne » 05-29-2006 08:27 PM

Oh, okay... now it makes sense :D Thanks m8 !

(At least) one question still remains tho: how many polys and verts per object is considered "safe" for the game ? Got an object with like 20.000 polys but I doubt the game will like that so I'm working on simplifying it but I need to know where to stop and of course, if I have any chances of actually make it suitable for the game.

Cheers,
FreekOne-WASP
FreekOne

Postby loa » 05-29-2006 08:31 PM

so far novas highest poly building is at 5700 polys, on the average most run between 360 and 2000 but it all depends how much detail you add i guess
loa
Administrator

Postby FreekOne » 05-30-2006 01:10 AM

Hope I can squeeze my vehicle in 4000 :rolleyes:

Anyways, I apreciate your info. Thanks ! :D
FreekOne

Postby flash » 06-29-2006 06:11 PM

yo freak!

i started by downloading dzines tutorial
that will give ya a good idea of modding you can download it from deltaforcebarracks its a vid eo tutorial and it pretty easy to follow.

good luck!
flash
L33T MODD3R

Return to Vehicles