Discuss Vehicle Modding Here

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

Rotor blur

Postby Sazza » 04-11-2006 04:10 AM

HI all! Me again.

I have a question.
How do I make the rotor look good?
lol

Take a LB from JO and start it up. The rotor first look static and begin to spin, after a few secounds the rotor blur and the rotor seems to spin fast.
I cant get that rotor to look good at all after the secound stage of spin up. part_rotor 1 2 3 4 dont work for me, i have to use the 2 2 2 2 setup. But this shows the static rotor all the time and its looks really crappy when flying the chopper.

Any ideas on how to set this up, from max to Oed?
my tga are 32 bit alpha.

Regards
Sazza
Sazza

Postby Sazza » 04-14-2006 01:57 PM

nm i solved it.
Sazza

Postby Q-dad~TAG » 04-14-2006 02:56 PM

Is the solution a secret or can you share it?
TXP (Terrain Xpansion Pack) for DF2: http://txp.df2.org/

Q-dad~TAG

Postby Sazza » 04-14-2006 10:19 PM

Naa i dont have any secrets LOL Holding back info or other useful things dont help the mod communtiy much.
I just found out yesterday and didnt have the time to make a tutorial. Still dont but here is a the short version.

I ended up using the rotor blur image in JO. Becouse the alpha info in that DDS couldent be repeted with the Nvidia DDS exporter.
everytime i tried it looked stupid in the end.

So i made a new octagon formed plane (10 sides) and put this into the rotors place. extracted the joints littlebird blur image and applyed it.
Then i converted this plane to mesh and in modifier list choosed the unvrap UVW, and pushed EDIT. This open a uvw window with the plane. choosed the dds as background.
In the same window I open options and unchecked the tile and made the dds brighter (1.0).
After that i just marked the plane and rotate/move/scale until it fit the rotorimage.
Save and exported.

Import into OED and made no alpha changes at all. Only ticked in the 2 side. Exported to 3DI.
Open 3DI in hexedit and found the rotortexture.
found the row FF_ST_OP, changed to FF_ST_AB. Also change the row above to 80 80 80. Check the stock 3di of a littlebird and you see what i meen. I dont think the 80 values are needed but anyway.
Saved and tested ok.

rotor_parts 1 2 3 4 i use.

Sazza
Sazza

Postby Q-dad~TAG » 04-16-2006 04:36 PM

Thx! :)

I don't do BHD or JO myself, but similar issues are probably going to arise when I get around to modding the rotors in DF2, and even if your solution might not help me directly, it might help me after all, since Novalogic isn't exactly known for inventing the wheel all over again each time they start making a "new" game...

Also, I've seen too many of those "nm - I've solved it myself" posts in here, and I thought maybe one could start encouraging everybody to avoid posting them... There are almost always someone who will have use for the solution of problems which others have stumbled into before them.

Thx again! :)
TXP (Terrain Xpansion Pack) for DF2: http://txp.df2.org/

Q-dad~TAG

Return to Vehicles