Need Help

talk about or request textures

Moderators: Q-dad~TAG, EXP STAFF, Moderator

Need Help

Postby Timber3050 NAA » 11-15-2004 02:38 PM

Ok, I still haven't found out how to get a new skin to work on an object i make. Right now i have a 256x256 skin. mow many mipmaps does the skin need? when setting it up in the OED, do i need to change anything or are the defaults good. I need help. if someone could get me on AIM that would be great. I'm almost always on (eastern US time that is)
Timber3050 NAA
showing off again

Postby -SyNDrOMe » 11-15-2004 03:54 PM

ok your texture map size is ok. what you need to do is in the OED under the "Tools" tab go to "options". a dialogue box should appear and the first text box should read "default texture folder" make sure the directory where your textures are stored is entered into that box.

if your texture is either pcx, tga, or dds then it should import correctly.
-SyNDrOMe
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Postby Timber3050 NAA » 11-15-2004 05:03 PM

when i place the object into the game, it shows up in in the objects default color. It won't work work in game :(

don't know if this might effect the reason, but i'm using adobe photo shop 5
Timber3050 NAA
showing off again

Postby -SyNDrOMe » 11-15-2004 05:42 PM

if your using the /d extension to the exe make sure your texture files are in the bhd directory. if your using a packed pff make sure your textures are in the pff as well.
-SyNDrOMe
EXP STAFF MEMBER

Postby Timber3050 NAA » 11-16-2004 12:58 PM

its in the pff along with the item.def and the object. I think somewhere in the creation process i did something wrong and i can't figure out what
Timber3050 NAA
showing off again

Postby rambonaa » 11-17-2004 02:56 AM

i had the exact same problem which u can ask abullet and loa. all u need to do is give it a uvw unwrap. if u just drag and drop it onto the object it dont work and just comes up with the basic colours.
rambonaa
noob meat

Postby A.bullet » 12-05-2004 10:12 AM

OK first off to answer your original question.. I create my dds files and the ones used in the TerraNova EXP with 9 mipmaps, however when you create the image.. you dont need to actually create the mipmaps you can have the DDS plugin for photoshop generate them when you save the DDS files.

That being said, I think your better off avoiding DDS textures until you have a better understanding of how the whole process works, because using DDS textures involves more steps and more plugins and more chances for things to go wrong, which when first learning can make things more complicated.

Anyhow.. well im going from memory here.. however..
first off I could be wrong, however I dont think the BHD Object editor will allow you to create items using dds textures.. I am fairly sure you are restricted to TGA or PCX formats.

PCX format doesnt allow for an alpha channel for a transparency mask so you are restricted to using a second PCX image (black and white) for your alpha channel when using PCX textures.

32 bit TGA allows you to save an alpha channel for a transparency mask and thus allows for full functionality in a single format.

DDS textures have the advantage of having the mip maps as well as having the functionality of an alpha channel for transparency masks but they also must have an aspect ratio which fits a certain pattern.

There are several problems I have run into with model making and texture formats in general.. this is a brief synopsis..

First.. the standard TGA format in some versions of PhotoShop doesnt have a working 32 bit TGA format.. so things dont work correctly when using alpha channels. The fix is to find the TGA plugin for photoshop which fixes this problem.

Second.. 3DSMax if thats what your using.. wont support DDS textures without a plugin so that is an obstacle..

Third.. im fairly sure when we made items with DDS textures we had to first make them as TGA and then alter the records in the file to point to the DDS files instead.

Anyhow.. my suggestion overall is to use TGA textures to start after you have made sure that your PhotoShop is making proper 32 bit TGA images ..

then to actually texture map the object.. there are a ton of methods - one is to simply create a material in 3dsmax and drop it on the object.. however.. though this may showup in 3dsmax correctly the texture might not display in the OED or in game.. because theres no UVW coordinates in the model..

To fix this you can select your object and apply the Unwrap UVW modifier followed by the Edit UVW's button in the rollout that appears.. then apply any mapping that works best for your situation.. once this is done.. do a render to see how it looks and choose the mapping that looks best..

Anyhow.. then when you export your ASE file it will contain UVW coordinates for the textures.. and the textures should be called based on what bitmaps you used when creating the materials..

The best bet is to put the max file and all supporting TGA images into one directory which is also the directory you will use when building the 3di file using the OED..

Then when you run the OED make sure to set the texture directory to the directory which contains those files before doing anything with the OED materials..

If you created materials in the Material Editor in 3dsmax using TGA files and you have the right texture directory selected when you import the file.. the textures should show up in the material editor in the BHD Object Editor..
Admin Mod Depot
Owner / Admin DFBarracks.com
A.bullet
Admin

Return to General Texture Chat Here